Saturday, January 23, 2010

photos

Started out doing a little reading on blog marketing - which feels strange to be thinking about for myself, as I can't imagine what I'd share that anyone would want to follow. (Not trying to invoke sympathy here - I simply don't have any educational insights to share with the teachers in this class.) Blogger had quite a few suggestions on how to maintain a successful site. (Interestingly, of the sites they recommended to post information to, only the Technorati site is still viable.) I went through their "coffee shop" site, and found a large number of sites that had been disabled. Due to questionable content? Extended period of inactivity? Nothing relevant to say? No wait - that's just me projecting, again.

It's clear that publishing regularly is key. Content should be meaningful, without being overly windy. I don't know what a blogroll is - not sure how it differs from RSS. Need to look that one up. An email contact would be helpful, I think, as it can be intimidating to post a comment or suggestion...

I tend to prefer shorter messages that are easy to grab, but I stumbled across a comedian's blog during our first week of class, and added his blog to my list. He's pretty wordy, but I enjoy his self-depricating style of humor. So if I were to blog consistently, it would have to involve laughter. And photography, I suppose. It's nice to be thinking of this as a sharing of information, and not a vehicle to just sell something. So here's another photo of mine, just to add a little more color to the page.




Cacti flowers from the Huntington Gardens in LA. April 2008.

2 comments:

  1. What a journey these weeks have been! And I think despite me role as instructor, I have played the role of student as well. I have learned so much and discovered that I too have never really blogged either. So my challenge is to live up to the challenge I have put before the students. Why I can see the future of students' blogs and not mine is frustrating?

    Our research has led us past writers who have declared that writing a blog involving reading and writing not only with text but also with a multiple is visual media. And this is your speciality. The field of digital writing is fertile for your ideas and thoughts, both the techniques and use of the techniques. I'm ready to learn from your skills. Teach me or at least show me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Denvy. I fight the feeling that I have something viable to share with others. Mostly, I feel inadequate with regard to digital writing (but give me a photo to manipulate or a poster or Web site to design and I'm a happy camper.) But when I think about offering an original bit of instruction, I'm suddenly mute. Or rather my brain can't quite connect with my fingers.

    I often feel that I'm still adjusting to composing my thoughts directly onto the computer. I may miss the tactile quality of paper...but I certainly don't miss my old typewriter!

    ReplyDelete