Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day one: where to begin?

This quarter, I think I definitely need to question my unwillingness to post on my Facebook account. I started the account mainly to appease my family, friends and co-workers - and see for myself what all the fuss is about. To be honest, I like to check with it at the beginning of the workday, to see what my friends are saying. I might even respond to a posting once in awhile. But I don't think I've ever initiated a posting on my own. I just can't make myself inflict my momentary flashes of thought onto anyone. It's actually a bit selfish on my part, I realize. But the constant snippets of daily activities seem a bit boring to me. Where is the real conversation? Where in our days are the opportunities for real conversations? Or is a sound byte of information enough to make us feel we're a part of each others lives?

This blog thing, though, is a different kettle of fish. I can write out my musings and questions for the universe - and nobody has to read them unless they choose to. Or want to.

4 comments:

  1. Blogging and Facebook are certainly different. As I have researched blogging I have become very excited about this class. The potential is awesome especially once we start networking with each other's blogs. When you check my blog (digitalinklings.blogspot.com), I hope will start sensing and developing a depth of discussion in our blogs. And I hope that soon you will comment in my blog. I hope we can develop these blogs into some deep thinking about the use of blogs in affecting others.

    I'm off to a meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost always love a good deep conversation. Ahhh... back in the day, my girlfriends and I would sit around and talk for hours on various topics... religion, education, technology, our bosses (of course with a nice glass of wine in our hands). That is another type of in-depth conversation altogether. Unless you want to be anonymous, as an educator, anything you post can and will be used against you in a court of law, so help you God. :) Blogging in the classroom is very difficult. I tried it last year in my 5/6 blend and learned a great deal. There were parts of it I really enjoyed and parts that frustrated me. With anything in the classroom, I bet both of those feelings are guaranteed.

    Be well Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's more you (Airin) can give us insight to. (Talk a sentence structure scramble!) Your experiences using blogs in the classrooms. I'm waiting for Rebekah to join us for her insights as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Facebook can be useful but I agree with Denise it can be very boring to read people's post as they chronicle every move of their day.

    ReplyDelete